Home blood glucose monitoring continues to be one of the most important aspects of diabetes management. We monitor our glucose levels to stay abreast of changes and do our best to ensure they stay under control. It’s a daily activity for many of us.
As time marches on and diabetes become more prevalent, many glucose monitors have incorporated new technologies to further simplify the process of home testing. For patients who are diagnosed with vision loss or impairments there are several speaking blood glucose meters available in the market that allow them to independently take glucose readings.
With that said, I have put together a list of what I consider to be the top 5 speaking blood glucose meters:
TOP 5 SPEAKING BLOOD GLUCOSE METERS
The Embrace meter uses the Embrace test strips to quantitatively measure the glucose levels in fresh capillary whole blood samples. The Embrace glucose meter offers a simple and accurate way to quantify your blood glucose levels using fresh capillary whole blood taken from fingertips, palm, or forearm.
The Embrace meter talks you through the testing procedure and tells you your results in English and Spanish. The bi-lingual talking feature can be used as a verbal assistance for using the meter. The default Language is English which can be changed to Bilingual if desired. To learn more about the speaking function and commands see Embrace user manual.
- Talking Meter: the talking feature talks you through the testing procedure and speaks your results – in English or Spanish.
- No Coding: a convenient feature that guarantees that user error is minimized and accuracy enhanced.
- Standard Batteries: easy to find and install, the Embrace glucose monitoring system uses standard AAA batteries.
- Large Display: the Embrace’s large display allows easy viewing of your blood glucose results and meter functions
- Alternate Site Testing: the Embrace glucose monitoring system can test for blood glucose other than your fingertip such as palm and forearm.
2. CARESENS N VOICE
The CareSens N Voice meter uses the CareSens N test strips for the quantitative measurement of glucose in fresh capillary whole blood samples drawn from the fingertips and alternative sites such as the forearm, palm, thigh, and calf.
CareSens N Voice meter is easy to use meter and does not require coding. CareSens N Voice delivers test results as fast as 5 seconds and speaks the test results in English and Spanish.
CareSens N Voice meter stores 500 glucose readings which can be easily downloaded to SmartLog software. It also calculates and displays the averages of total test results, pre- and post-meal test results from the last 1, 7, 14, 30, and 90 days. Furthermore, it is equipped with an alarm system so that you can be reminded to rest at meal times. To learn more about the voice function see “Setting up Your System” in CareSens N Voice user manual.
- Bilingual talking function
- No coding
- 0.5㎕ blood sample size
- Strip injection button
- Pre and post-meal flagging
- Pre and post-meal 1,7,14, 30, 90 day averaging
- 4 alarms ( post-meal* 3 time set alarms) *2 hours after meal
- USB Port to download data
- Easy-grip design
- 5-second test time
- Beep sound on/off function
- Alternate Site Testing (AST)
- Hypoglycemia indicator
- Data port for PC link
- Battery life of 5000 tests
- 500 test values can be stored with time and date
- Compatible with CareSens PC Care Program and PC cable
3. EASYMAX VOICE
The EasyMax Voice meter uses the EasyMax test strips to quantitatively measure your blood glucose (sugar) levels in fresh capillary whole blood samples drawn from the fingertip, palm or forearm. EasyMax V is designed to be dependable, easy-to-use, compact, lightweight, and portable to help you monitor your blood glucose on a regular basis.
EasyMax V monitoring system features talking meter, fast results, and alternate site testing. EasyMax Vioce does not require coding, which makes home glucose monitoring very easy, and speaks your test results. To learn more about the voice function see EasyMax Voice user manual.
- Small blood sample size needed – only 0.6 Microliter
- Bilingual – English & Spanish
- Talking meter
- Alternate Site Testing (finger, palm, and forearm)
- Simple to use
- Downloadable results
- Large display, easy-to-read text
- Large, easy-to-handle test strips
- No coding required
- Fast results in 5 sec
- Mute function
- Memory stores 480 test results
4. GLUCOCARD EXPRESSION
The Arkray GlucoCard Expression glucose meter uses the GlucoCard Expression test strips to quantitatively measure the glucose levels in fresh capillary whole blood samples drawn from the fingertips or palm.
The GlucoCard Expression is everything a blood glucose meter should be – fast, accurate and easy to use. A small 0.5 µL sample size in this GO-based test strip platform gives accurate results in as little as 7 seconds. This auto coded meter has a 250-test memory, records 14- and 30-day averaging and is downloadable.
The voice function can be used as an aid for you to hear the test results and use the meter. To find out more about the voice function see GlucoCard Expression user manual.
- Voice function can be used as an aid for you to hear the test results and use the meter
- Uses the ARKRAY GlucoCard Expression test strips
- 0.5 µL sample size
- Meter range: 20-600 mg/dL
- Precise results in just 7 seconds
- Auto coded meter with a 250-test memory
5. PRODIGY AUTOCOD
The Prodigy AutoCode meter uses the Prodigy No Coding test strips to quantitatively measure the glucose levels in fresh capillary whole blood samples. Prodigy AutoCode requires No Coding; simply insert the Prodigy test strip into the strip port and the meter automatically powers on.
The Prodigy AutoCode talks the user through the blood glucose testing steps and speaks in English, Spanish, French, and Arabic. Prodigy AutoCode is a completely non-visually accessible talking blood glucose meter. To learn more about the speaking function see Prodigy AutoCode user manual.
- Speaks in 4 Languages: English, Spanish, French and Arabic.
- Uses the Prodigy No Coding test strips
- No Coding required
- Stores 450 test results with date and time.
- Approved for Alternate Site Testing (AST).
- Standard USB port to easily download test results.