If you’re living with diabetes, you know that managing your blood sugar levels is key to staying healthy. There are a lot of different tools and products out there that can help, and one of the newer options is the Freestyle Libre 2 Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) Systems. This system has both pros and cons. In this article we are going to take a closer look at what it offers so you can decide if the Libre 2 is right for you.
What is the Libre 2 CGM System?
The Freestyle Libre 2 CGM is an innovative diabetes management system that has been making waves in the medical community mainly due to its no-blood, no-fingerstick design. That’s right, with the Libre system, you don’t have to constantly prick your finger to check your blood sugar levels.
How does it work?
The Libre system enables you to obtain continuous blood glucose readings using two components: a reader and a sensor. The sensor sends continuous readings to the reader which can display real-time measurements.
The Freestyle Libre 2 wearable sensors, placed discreetly on the back of the arm, will allow you to continuously monitor your glucose levels 24/7 and send the data wirelessly to the reader. This information can help you make better decisions about your diet, exercise, and insulin doses.
The Freestyle Libre 2 reader tracks real-time readings, high or low glucose, and 8-hour trends. It also gives you the option to set continuous glucose monitoring alarms with their Libre 2 app. This includes alerting you when your glucose is high and low or if there is signal loss. The touchscreen device is small and light, making it easy to take with you on the go. Additionally, you can use traditional test strips as needed.
- End of finger pricking. You don’t have to constantly prick your fingers to draw blood for glucose testing.
- Ease of use. The Freestyle Libre system is very easy to use. There’s no need for fingersticks or blood tests, and the sensors are simple and painless to apply. Just place the sensor on your arm and you’re good to go!
- Continuous monitoring. The Freestyle Libre reader tracks real-time readings, high or low glucose, and eight-hour trends.
- Accuracy. One of the most important things to consider when choosing a CGM system is accuracy. After all, what’s the point of a system that isn’t accurate? The Freestyle Libre system has been shown to be consistent with its readings. With a total of 1440 readings per day, continuous monitoring allows you to stay informed and in control.
- App. The Libre 2 System comes with an intuitive app that offers you a ton of valuable information about your diabetes and overall health. Pairing with the app allows you to set alarms, see trends, and review your glucose history. You can even use it as a replacement for the Libre 2 Reader. But make sure that your phone is compatible with the app before you skip the reader.
- Lightweight reader. If you opt for the Libre 2 reader over your smartphone, you’ll be happy to know that the device is lightweight at only 65 grams. Stay in control of your glucose monitoring without anyone knowing it.
- Discreet sensors. The sensors are small, discreet, and can be easily scanned through clothes.
- Great for on-the-go. Because the reader is lightweight and the sensor is discrete, you can easily take this system with you wherever you go, whether it’s for work, travel, or any other instance.
- Water-resistant. The sensors are water resistant with an IP rating of 27. It can withstand 3 feet of water for up to 30 minutes.
- 14-day sensor. The sensor lasts two weeks before you’ll need a replacement. If not maintained properly the sensor may not last the full 14-days.
- Cost. Whether you’re uninsured or under-insured, or just need an extra sensor in addition to your insurance allowance the cost is a critical factor. Trimming your unnecessary spending, searching for coupons, and taking advantage of subscription discounts are great ways to save on the cost.
- Test strips limitation. As fantastic as it is to be able to use traditional test strips with this device, the Libre 2 Reader works only with Freestyle Precision Neo Test Strips.
- Skin sensitivity: While not common, the sensor may cause some skin sensitivity to the spot where you apply it.
The Freestyle Libre system is an excellent choice for those seeking an easy-to-use, no finger-pricking, discreet CGM system. The biggest and arguably the only downside to it (for the pay-out-pocket users) is the cost. Otherwise, the Freestyle Libre system is a great choice!
If you’re still unsure about whether or not the Libre 2 Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (CGM) is the right choice for you, check out the list of questions we have prepared to help you make an informed decision.
Robin is a creative individual who enjoys writing and is always looking for ways to hone her skills and share her knowledge with others. She has been writing casually and professionally for over 10 years in a variety of topics including health and wellness.