Over the past decade, OneTouch has implemented a number of improvements to their home glucose monitors. As a result, OneTouch glucose meters can now perform better and deliver more accurate results using the OneTouch Ultra Blue test strips.
Though the improved OneTouch glucose monitors provide more accurate readings, the high cost of OneTouch products, especially the test strips, remains to be a major concern for many users. This has led to the rise of generic test strips proven to work with OneTouch systems. These generic test strips offer users a choice to buy the inexpensive generic alternative and yet take advantage of the high quality of the OneTouch glucose monitoring systems.
Generic OneTouch Test Strips
UniStrip1, manufactured by UniStrip Technologies, and GenUltimate, manufactured by PharamaTech Solutions, are two generic alternatives to OneTouch Ultra blood glucose test strips. They are both affordable diabetic test strips that work with OneTouch meters to make glucose testing using an expensive monitoring system more affordable.
GenUltimate vs. UniStrip: Differences Between UniStrip1 and GenUltimate
1. GenUltimate is more expensive than UniStrip1.
This is probably one of the most important deciding factors for users seeking to replace their OneTouch Ultra with a generic brand. PharmaTech GenUltimate test strips are sold at a slightly higher price than Unistrip1. Here are the prices at Diabetic Outlet
2. GenUltimate box is bigger than Unistrip1.
When comparing the UniStrip versus the GenUltimate side by side, the first thing that stands out is the size difference.GenUltimate 50 count box is bigger than UniStrip1 50 count box. The GenUltimate box is 2.5in x 1.5in x 3in, while UniStrip1 box is only 1 3/4in x 1 3/4in x 2 1/4in. The bigger box means bigger test strips, which makes handling the strips easier.
3. UniStrip also works with OneTouch UltraSmart meter.
Strictly based on the blueprint of the box, UniStrip1 test strips work with OneTouch Ultra, OneTouch Ultra2, OneTouch UltraMini, and OneTouch UltraSmart meters, whereas GenUltimate test strips with calibration code 4, 10, and 13 are only for use with OneTouch Ultra, OneTouch Ultra2, and OneTouch UltraMini meters.
It’s worth mentioning that a meter validation study showed that OneTouch meters manufactured before and after 2010 performed equivalently.
4. UniStrip uses its own control solution for meter calibration.
UniStrip uses its own brand name control solution to perform control testing, whereas GenUltimate uses the OneTouch Ultra Control Solution. Furthermore, UniStrip control solutions are sold at a cheaper price than OneTouch Control solutions.
5. GenStrip50 has more features than UniStrip
- EZ-Fill Window and larger vial. Easy-Fill window makes it easy to see when blood sample is ready.
- Minimal, Smart, and Sleek Design
- Alternate site testing
- GenUltimate requires the same tiny sample size as leading brand name test strips
- Easy to handle size for easy removal with mouth vial
- GenUltimate delivers fast results
- Offers safe and accurate testing at the a price you can afford
- UniStrip delivers accurate and fast results.
- The capillary action automatically draws the blood sample into the UniStrip1 test strip.
- UniStrip test strips are approved for alternate site testing.
- UniStrip’s glucose oxidase technology allows for safer and more accurate results.
6. PharmaTech GenUltimate is made in the U.S.A.
PharmaTech takes pride in manufacturing their GenUltimate test strips in the United States. On the other hand, Unistrip1 test strips are made in Taiwan.
In the end, both the UniStrip1 and GenUltimate test strips are simple to use and deliver fast and accurate results. What separates them from each other is the price difference and the extra features that GenUltimate has to offer. If you’re seeking an alternative to OneTouch Ultra test strips it’s a good idea to try them out and see which one works best for you.
* Content and information on this page is intended for informational and educational purposes only, and does NOT constitute any medical professional advice.