Unistrip Test Strips are for use with OneTouch Ultra, OneTouch Ultra2, OneTouch UltraMini, and OneTouch UltraSmart glucose meters to quantitatively measure the glucose levels in fresh capillary whole blood samples. Ensuring accurate results with Unistrip test strips is the key to have precise results at much lower costs using the world’s most accurate meter – OneTouch.
Getting Accurate Results with Unistrip Test Strips
According to Unistrip User Manual, you can accurate results with UniStrip Test Strips when the following limitations are observed.
- DO Not use for screening purposes.
- Do Not use for the diagnosis of diabetes or for testing of neonates.
- Unistrip1 Test strips are for single use only. Do Not reuse. Do not share test strips.
- Unistrip test strips are specific to D-glucose and do not react to other sugars, which may be present in blood.
- Use only fresh capillary whole blood. Do Not use serum or plasma.
- Hematocrit is the percentage of red blood cells in the blood. Extremes in hematocrit may affect test results. Hematocrit levels below 30% may cause falsely high readings. Hematocrit levels over 55% may cause falsely low readings. If you do not know your hematocrit level, consult your doctor or nurse.
- UniStrip1 Test Strips may be used at altitudes up to 10,000 feet (3048 meters) without an effect on test results.
Limitation of Procedures for HealthCare professionals
According to Unistrip User Manual, the healthcare professionals needs to note the following extra limitations of procedure in addition to the aforementioned.
- Do Not use other anticoagulants or preservatives.
- Interferences: Acetaminophen, salicylates, uric acid, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), and other reducing substances (when occurring in normal blood or normal therapeutic concentrations) do not affect results by more than 10%. However, more than normally high concentrations in blood may cause inaccurately high results.
- Patients going through oxygen therapy may yield falsely low results.
- Test results may be falsely low if the patient is severely dehydrated, in shock, or in a hyperosmolar state (with or without ketosis). These test strips should not be used with meters to test critically ill patients.
- Lipemic samples: Cholesterol levels up to 700 mg/dL (18.1 mmol/L) and triglycerides up to 3000 mg/dL (33.9 mmol/L) do not affect the results. Grossly lipemic patient samples have not been tested. They are not advised for testing with any OneTouch® Ultra® Meters.
Ensure Accurate Results with Unistrip Test Strips using Unistrip Control Solution
According to Unistrip User Manual, a control solution test is performed to check that the meter and test strips are working together properly and that you are doing the test correctly. For instructions on how and when to check the system by doing a control solution test to ensure accurate results with Unistrip test strips, refer to the User Guide that came with your system. Use only UniStrip Control Solution and follow the instructions on the package insert.
When to Perform a UniStrip Control Solution Test
Unistrip control solution can be used to ensure accurate results with Unistrip test strips and to verify that your meter and strips are working correctly. The system is performing correctly if the control solution test result falls within the specific control solution range listed on your test strip vial.
It is generally recommended to use Unistrip control solution on a regular basis, specially
- with each new vial of blood glucose test strips
- after changing meter batteries
- if you suspect your meter is delivering false results.
- before using your glucose monitoring system for the first time
- if the test strip vial has been left open or exposed to extreme heat, cold or humanity.
- Operating Temperature 43 -111 F or 6 – 44 C
- Storage Temperature 39 – 86 F or 4 – 30 C (Do Not Freeze)
- Relative Humidity 10-90%
- Strip Vial Open Altitude (10,000 feet) 3,275 meters
How to take care of your Unistrip test strips
- Store your Unistrip Test Strips vial in a cool dry place. Do NOT freeze.
- Keep your Unistrip Test Strips away from direct sunlight, heat, cold, or moisture (water).
- Failure to follow storage may result in wrong readings.
How to handle your Unistrip test strips
- Do not take a Unistrip test strip out of the test strip vial until you are ready to use it.
- Close the Unistrip diabetes test strip vial tightly as soon are you remove a test strip. Use each test strip right away after you remove it from the vial.
- Do Not use Unistrip diabetic test strips that are damaged, wet, or bent. Do not bend, cut or alter the strip in any way.
- You may touch the Unistrip1 testing strip on its surface with clean dry hands.
Disposal of your Unistrip test strips
- Do Not return the used Unistrip test strip to the vial.
- Used test strips may be considered biohazardous waste in your area. Be sure to follow your healthcare professional’s recommendations for proper disposal.
Alternate Site Testing (AST)
Unistrip Test Strips allow alternate site testing (AST) from the fingertip, palm and/or the forearm. (Use of palm AST is not to be done with OneTouch Ultra meter). Alternative site testing with Unistrip should only be done during steady-state times (when glucose is not changing rapidly). Read this article to learn more about using Unistrip test strips for Alternate Site Testing (AST).
Unistrip1 Generic Blood Glucose Test Strips
UniStrip test strip is a leading generic alternative to the OneTouch Ultra test strips. With Unistrip test strips you can have precise results at much lower costs. Unistrip glucose test strips work with the world’s most accurate meters – OneTouch – to deliver accurate glucose readings while helping the users save test strips and money.
- Exclusively for use with OneTouch Ultra, OneTouch Ultra2, OneTouch UltraMini, and OneTouch UltraSmart meters
- Delivers Accurate and Fast Results
- Allows alternate site testing (AST) from the fingertip
- Ideal for patients pay out of pocket
- Affordable glucose tests strips: Unistrip1 test strips cost users less than most managed care organization’s co-pays
- Designed for home monitoring of glucose levels at at home.
- Available in box of 50 strips
* Content and information on this page is intended for informational and educational purposes only, and does NOT constitute any medical professional advice.