You may have known it as Glucose SOS for pets, the new PetTest Energy Boost is a fast-acting glucose product that raises your pet’s blood sugar quickly and effectively to treat hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
If you’re reading this page you are familiar with Hypoglycemia and know very well how serious and dangerous it could be. Low blood sugar can cause seizures, coma and even death. The new Energy Boost from PetTest is designed to help you address this dangerous condition.
Advocate PetTest Energy Boost, 3 units of 10mL Glucose Gel
PetTest Glucose SOS is not only for diabetic pets but for hunting & highly active dogs, toy breeds, puppies & kittens.
Unlike traditional remedies (Karo syrup or honey to the gums, treats, etc.), PetTest Energy Boost for Pets provides a standardized, precise and repeatable treatment of concentrated glucose gel in an easy to use squeeze tube.
PetTest Energy Boost provides virtually instant glucose availability and absorption without spiking. The Glucose SOS for pets gel instantly dissolves once it comes in contact with the tongue, cheek and gums. The glucose then passes directly into the bloodstream through the SGLT1, GLUT1, 2 and 3 transporters in the buccal membrane and tongue. The advantage is clear: glucose absorption within seconds, not minutes. And every second counts when your pet is experiencing hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
Whether for the vet clinic, at home, or on the go, don’t be without the Pet Glucose SOS. Pets LOVE the delicious meat stew flavoring and will happily accept the Energy Boost Gel! Within minutes, your pet will be back to their energetic, playful self.
- 100% real glucose in a concentrated gel
- Eliminates guesswork
- Immediate absorption
- Standardized, controlled precise treatment
- No sugar spikes
- Tailored to all sized dogs and cats
- Great meat stew flavor
- For Diabetic Pets, Hunting Dogs, Toy Breeds, Puppies and Kittens
- Ready/Easy to use
- Maintenance tool
What’s Hypoglycemia in Dogs & Cats?
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is a life threatening emergency for your dog or cat. Unlike the cells of the body that can burn their own fact and proteins if little or no glucose is available, the cells of the brain must have glucose available at all times to function. Without enough glucose circulating in the bloodstream, brain cells will start to die, ultimately resulting in a rapid deterioration including lengthy, weakness, difficulty standing or walking, muscle spasms, seizures, coma, and even death.
Common Signs for Low Blood Sugar
- weakness or lethargy
- lack of muscular coordination
- glassy eyes
Causes of Hypoglycemia in Cats and Dogs
Causes of hypoglycemia in pets include but are not limited to:
- Insulin treatment for diabetic pets:
- Too much insulin administered
- Not eating a full meal or vomiting (with a full insulin dose administered).
- A change in the body’s need for insulin (e.g., diabetic cat remission while still on insulin).
- Exertional Hypoglycemia
- Can be found in hunting dogs , working dogs and pet competitors due to extreme overexertion.
- May also be seen in young puppies, kittens and toy breeds due to high activity and metabolism
- increased glucose use (due to infection, pregnancy, etc.)
- Decreased glucose production (due to liver disfunction, Addison’s disease, etc)
BEFORE USING GLUCOSE SOS ENERGY BOOST
- BE PREPARED. Consult with your veterinarian beforehand so you can watch for signs of low blood sugar in your pet and how to properly test their glucose levels and administer treatment if symptoms appear.
- Have your vet educate you on what level of blood glucose would be considered hypoglycemic for your specific pet, for example 70mg/dL or lower) that would trigger treatment, whether symptomatic or not.
- When either low blood sugar levels or symptoms do occur, contact your vet immediately for observation or additional help.
- If your pet is still conscious, treatment with Glucose SOS for Pets should be administered at once to bring their glucose levels back to a safe level.
You should bring your pet to a veterinarian for a continued observation after any hypoglycemic event.
Glucose SOS for pets is an extension of the original Glucose SOS (for humans). Glucose SOS was developed by Pamela Heyward in response to the hypoglycemic horror she faced while raising two young daughters diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Read Pamela’s story.