Over the past decade, OneTouch has made several improvements to their blood glucose monitoring systems. As a result, glucose monitoring systems can now perform better, and therefore, deliver more accurate results. Though the improved OneTouch glucose monitoring systems provide better glucose testing experience, the high cost of OneTouch products, especially the test strips, continues to be a major concern for most users. This has given rise to generic test strips, proven to work with OneTouch systems, to offer users a choice to buy the inexpensive generic alternative and yet get the high quality of the OneTouch system.
UniStrip1, manufactured by UniStrip Technologies, and GenStrip50, manufactured by PharamaTech Solutions, are generic alternatives to OneTouch Ultra blood glucose test strips. They are both affordable diabetic test strips that work with OneTouch meters to make glucose testing using an expensive monitoring system more affordable.
Differences Between UniStrip1 and PharmaTech GenStrip50
1. GenStrip50 is more expensive than UniStrip1.
This is probably one of the most important deciding factors for the users seeking to replace their OneTouch Ultra with a generic brand. PharmaTech GenStrip50 test strips are sold at a slightly higher price than Unistrip1. Here are the prices at Diabetic Outlet
2. PharmaTech GenStrip5 is made in the U.S.A.
PharmaTech takes pride in making their GenStrip50 test strips in the United States. On the other hand, Unistrip1 test strips are made in Taiwan.
3. GenStrip50 box is bigger than Unistrip1
When comparing the UniStrip versus the GenStrip side by side, the first thing that stands out is the size difference. GenStrip50 50 count box is bigger than UniStrip1 50 count box. The GenStrip50 box is 2.5in x 1.5in x 3in, while UniStrip1 box is only 1 3/4in x 1 3/4in x 2 1/4in. The bigger box mean the bigger test test strips, which makes handling the strips easier.
4. UniStrip also works with OneTouch UltraSmart meter.
Strictly off the blueprint of the box, UniStrip1 test strips work with OneTouch Ultra, OneTouch Ultra2, OneTouch UltraMini, and OneTouch UltraSmart meters purchased before October 2012, whereas GenStrip test strips with calibration code 4, 10, and 13 are only for use with OneTouch Ultra, OneTouch Ultra2, and OneTouch UltraMini meters purchased before July 2012.
It’s worth mentioning that a meter validation study showed that OneTouch meters manufactured before and after 2010 performed equivalently.
5. UniStrip uses its own control solution.
UniStrip uses its own brand name control solution to perform control testing, whereas GenStrip50 uses the OneTouch Ultra Control Solution. Furthermore, UniStrip control solutions are sold at a cheaper price than OneTouch Control solutions.
6. UniStrip1 is more popular than GenStrip50
Both GenStrip50 and UniStrip1 are popular test strips because they are affordable, easy-to-use, and clinically accurate. While both UniStrip1 and GenStrip50 are widely used in United States, UniStrip1 appears to have gained more popularity over the past few years. Perhaps one reason could be that UniStrip1 test strips and UniStrip control solutions are more affordable than GenStrip50 test strips and OneTouch Ultra control solutions.
7. GenStrip50 has more features than UniStrip
- EZ-Fill Window and larger vial. Easy-Fill window makes it easy to see when blood sample is ready.
- Minimal, Smart, and Sleek Design
- Alternate site testing
- GenStrip50 requires the same tiny sample size as leading brand name test strips
- Easy to handle size for easy removal with mouth vial
- GenStrip50 delivers fast results
- Offers safe and accurate testing at the a price you can afford
- UniStrip delivers accurate and fast results.
- The capillary action automatically draws the blood sample into the UniStrip1 test strip.
- UniStrip test strips are approved for alternate site testing.
- UniStrip’s glucose oxidase technology allows for safer and more accurate results.
In the end, Both the UniStrip1 and GenStrip50 test strips are simple to use and deliver fast and accurate results. What separates them from each other is the price difference and extra features that GenStrip50 has to offer. If you’re seeking an alternative to OneTouch Ultra test strips it’s a good idea to try them out and see which one works best for you.
* Content and information on this page is intended for informational and educational purposes only, and does NOT constitute any medical professional advice.